grammar translation method GTM
[FONT='Comic Sans MS', Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Key Features
[/FONT][FONT='Comic Sans MS', Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
According to Prator and Celce-Murcia (1979:3), the key features of the Grammar Translation Method are as follows:
(1) Classes are taught in the mother tongue, with little active use of the target language.
(2) Much vocabulary is taught in the form of lists of isolated words.
(3) Long elaborate explanations of the intricacies of grammar are given.
(4) Grammar provides the rules for putting words together, and instruction often focuses on the form
and inflection of words.
(5) Reading of difficult classical texts is begun early.
(6) Little attention is paid to the content of texts, which are treated as exercises in in grammatical
(7) Often the only drills are exercises in translating disconnected sentences from the target language
into the mother tongue.
(8) Little or no attention is given to pronunciation.