03-28-2010, 01:37 PM
• 2000: Sharon came to Alaqsa ,caused the breakout of Al‐Aqsa Uprising(Intifada).
Read the following notes on Palestine. Use them to write a short report
• Location: at the crossroads of Asia and Africa, Mediterranean Sea
• Area: 27,000 km²
• Population: 9M (4M in the Gaza Strip and West Bank + 5M in Diaspora)
• 1948: Nakba (disaster of loss of the land and immigration). Many people became refugees.
• 1967: The War on the rest of Palestine and Naksa.
• 1994: Oslo agreement of Peace for Land. The coming of the Palestinian Authority.
• 2009: The War on Gaza Strip.
Palestine is an Arab country and is a member in the Arab League. It is located at the crossroad between Asia and Africa. It lies on the Mediterranean Sea. This gives Palestine a significant position that makes other nation to invade and occupy it. It has an estimated area of 27,000 km₂. The total of the population is 9 million (5M in Diaspora and 4M in the Gaza Strip and the West Bank). In 1948, the worst event happened to the Palestinian people . They were forced to leave their homeland and find refuge in the countries round Palestine. That year became known as “Nakba 48” which means “disaster of 48”.
In 1967, another war broke out between the Arab World and Israel. It was only to occupy the rest of Palestine (Gaza Strip and the West Bank).
In 1994, a peace agreement was signed between P.L.O.(Palestinian Liberation Organization) and Israel. This agreement was based on the principle “land for peace” . That year witnessed the coming of the “Palestinian Authority” for the first time.
In 2000, Sharon’s visit to Al‐aqsa Mosque caused great anger among the Palestinians and this led to the 2nd Intifada. In 2009, the 2nd Intifada has still been going on and no one was able to stop it even the fiercest war in the history of the Arab Israeli conflict which killed about 1500 people and wounded roughly 7000 casualties.